ISI & PSA to Merge Operations
The ISI and the Professional Skaters Association (PSA) will consolidate operations to strengthen industry services and programs. The affiliation/merger was announced June 1 at our joint conferences and tradeshow in Las Vegas.
There will be no changes to the ISI skating program for the foreseeable future. We will continue to provide our standard skating programs, conduct ISI testing, and offer local and national competitions.
All 2016-17 ISI national and local events will continue as planned.
"Our commitment to both memberships remains strong," said ISI President Robert McBride. "This merger preserves the mission and founding principles of both ISI and PSA as we seek new and more effective ways to deliver critical services to our constituencies."
PSA President-elect Christine Fowler-Binder stated that the merger of the two associations is a benefit to not only PSA and ISI members, but also the ice sports industry as well.
"Together, we will more effectively provide the critical leadership and programs of both organizations in a manner that will best serve the ice sports industry in the future," she said.
The consolidation is anticipated to take 12 to 18 months and is not expected to impact Administrative, Professional, or Individual Members.
During this transitional period, ISI will begin negotiations with U.S. Figure Skating and PSA to explore the possibility of supporting a single, national learn-to-skate program. It is our intent that this program will preserve the ISI philosophy of providing recreational testing and competition opportunities for skaters of all ages and skill levels.
ISI will continue to offer the same valuable services to our Administrative members, including the iAIM education program.
The new arrangement does not affect ISIAsia rinks, coaches, or skaters.
We believe that the streamlining of programs and services will unify the industry, thereby reducing costs to skaters and coaches, while improving participation and retention for arena owners and operators.
New ISI District Election Process
In an effort to be more inclusive, the ISI Board of Directors is implementing a new process for the election of District Representatives. Starting in 2015, the elections for district representatives will be conducted electronically: odd number districts in odd numbered years and even numbered districts in even numbered years.
- All Voting Representatives within a district will receive an email with a link to nominate one person as their district director. They will be given 10 days to submit a nomination. While both administrative member voting representatives (if there are two) will receive the nomination email, only the first nomination from each will be accepted.
- Names of nominees who receive only one nomination will be sent to all district voting representatives to be seconded. They will have five days to second a nomination.
- After all of the seconded nominations are in, the ISI office will ask each nominee if he/she is willing to serve. Each nominee will have 10 days to respond; a non-response will be taken as a no.
- The ISI office will verify qualifications for each nominee willing to serve and send electronic ballots to all voting representatives in their district. Voting will take place over the following 10 days.
- If no one nominee receives over 50% of the vote, a run-off election will be held between the top two candidates, or more if there are ties. Five days will be allowed for the run-off election
- The entire election process will take 65 days, beginning March 2 through May 5.
- The ISI office will verify final results, which will be announced at the ISI Conference & Trade Show.
ISI builder and supplier membership is for builders, suppliers and vendors of ice skating and arena products and services.
Get connected to your target customer audience with these membership benefits:
- Discounted advertising rates in ISI print and electronic publications
- Discounted exhibit space at the industry’s leading trade show and ISI’s national recreational skating competitions
- Virtual trade show for ISI trade show exhibitors
- Subscriptions to ISI EDGE trade journal, Recreational Ice Skating magazine and ISI eNews
- Free employment advertising on ISI Web site and in ISI EDGE
- Listing with description in annual ISI Directory, print and online
- Link on ISI Web site
- Business referrals and networking opportunities
For more information, call (972) 735-8800.