Code of Ethics
A Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct is hereby adopted so that the public respect and the status of the association members in the profession may be enhanced and secured and that ethical principles are to be followed to avoid actual or perceived impropriety.
The following basic rules shall govern the conduct and relations of members of the Ice Skating Institute. Any complaint concerning breaches thereof shall be dealt with by the Grievance Review Committee according to the procedures that are adopted from time to time by the Board of Directors of the Ice Skating Institute.
1. Members of the Ice Skating Institute, (hereafter referred to as "members") shall at all times exercise the greatest care and discretion in their relationships with other members, pupils and pupils of other members.
2. Prior to acting as a coach, the member shall determine the nature and extent of any earlier teaching relationship with that skater and other members.
3. No member shall in any case solicit pupils of another member, directly or indirectly, or through third parties.
4. Members shall dress neatly and in a clean and appropriate manner as is becoming a member of the Ice Skating Institute. Members shall be ever mindful of the influence they exercise over their pupils and under all circumstances this trust should never be abused.
5. Members shall at all times be mindful that they have the responsibility to influence their students to act with dignity, ethically and with high moral conduct. The members shall never place the value of winning above the value of instilling the highest desirable ideas of character in their students nor shall the members act in any manner inconsistent with a high standard of ethical and moral conduct.
6. The members shall take an active role in the prevention of drugs, alcohol and tobacco abuse, and under no circumstances should authorize the use of such products.
7. All members recognize that they shall act in a manner, which avoids verbal or physical abuse of any skaters, other coaches, parents or officials. Members shall not engage in, nor permit any skater with whom they are charged with the responsibility of coaching to engage in, any offense in violation of federal, state or local law, or laws of a foreign government.
8. Members shall at all times avoid conflicts of interest which can be considered to exist at any time when the actions of the members for themselves or on behalf of a skater, would involve the obtaining of an improper advantage.